Zondervan First Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Zondervan embarking upon a digital publishing program?
- The retail market for books continues to evolve. Shelf space is limited and Inspirational readers have found a rich array of fresh content in using digital and eReading devices. Christian content is experiencing expansive growth in the e-book sector, and Zondervan is seizing this opportunity to grow both new and existing voices...and to be first in delivering exactly what readers want to read.
Why are you launching Zondervan First now?
- Two reasons. First, traditional channels for retail are shrinking. Fewer grocery stores, drug stores, mall stores, and superstores are carrying a broad selection of titles. While there is a strong consumer market for Zondervan titles, the channels that we have always depended on to grow new voices and publish broadly are under pressure. Second, the growth of eReaders and e-books has created a new opportunity that allows us to increase the number and diversity of our list for the first time in 10 years.
How is Zondervan First different from Zondervan Books?
- Zondervan First has grown organically from our existing publishing program. We're always looking for ways to grow our authors in a marketplace rife with new opportunity.
- This imprint will enable Zondervan to react dynamically to the market; we can work faster to discern new trends as (or before) they emerge. Zondervan First titles will also have a more flexible publication schedule. Without traditional printing constraints, we can edit, market, and release e-books more quickly, allowing unprecedented speed to market. We're also excited that the Zondervan First imprint allows Zondervan such flexibility with the length of books we publish, as well as offers us greater scope in exploring new themes.
Why publish with Zondervan First?
- Zondervan is an industry leader in Christian publishing. Our editorial staff and sales/marketing/publicity force are uniquely respected, and Zondervan First authors benefit from those existing talents, platforms, and relationships. Zondervan's enthusiastic editorial team will acquire content for both imprints. From there, each Zondervan First e-book will receive a distinctive cover treatment with the Zondervan First logo, and during the publication cycle, the books will receive support from Zondervan's marketing and publicity professionals. The e-books will also benefit from our proven, strong relationships with all e-book channels and online retailers.
Where will Zondervan First titles be sold?
- Our Zondervan First e-books will be available at every e-tailer, and readers will be able to download them onto every portable reading device sold today...and tomorrow, too. Readers who seek a hard copy of individual Zondervan First titles will be able to purchase physical books, thanks to a print-to-order option available through major online book retailers.
Do Zondervan First authors get an advance? What is the royalty rate?
- Zondervan First will not pay an advance, but authors receive a 25% royalty from the first book sold. After an e-book sells 10,000 net copies, the author's royalty rate rises to 50%. (Contracts will provide royalties for both e-book and print-to-order copies.)
Will Zondervan First e-books be distributed globally?
- Every Zondervan First contract will include World English language distribution, so we can deliver these e-books everywhere around the world where English-language novels are sold.
Will Zondervan First titles be DRM protected?
- Yes. Our retail partners will place DRM protection on Zondervan First titles, following the standard procedure for all Zondervan books.
For Zondervan First, will you want agented or non-agented submissions?
- We will accept all submissions, agented and non-agented, for consideration. Please check our website (http://www.ZondervanFirst.com) for full details on our interactive submission process.
What is the submission process?
- All non-agented manuscripts should be submitted at http://www.ZondervanFirst.com. Please note the detailed instructions on submission guidelines before sending your documents electronically. We are accepting only completed manuscripts, no queries.
Can existing Zondervan authors also publish to Zondervan First?
- Of course! Our Zondervan authors are as excited about our new ePublishing platform as we are.
If a debut author is published under the Zondervan First imprint, is there a chance to be published in print as well?
- Yes, of course. Consumers will have the option to buy a printed copy of every Zondervan First title. These bound books will have a different cover price than the e-book and will be available to order at online book retailers. We will also be looking in this group of authors for future Zondervan acquisitions.
Will my work be copyrighted?
- Each title receives individual copyright, retained by the author, as is the norm for all Zondervan titles.
Will manuscripts be edited before going into print?
- Yes. Just as with our print titles, each Zondervan First project will be assigned to an individual Zondervan editor and will go through a comprehensive content and copyediting process. However, because of the shortened production schedule, we will only be acquiring manuscripts that have achieved a high level of craftsmanship at the time they are submitted.
Will Zondervan First titles benefit from Zondervan Publicity and Marketing?
- Yes. We will support Zondervan First titles with comprehensive publicity/marketing campaigns, marketing each title, utilizing the digital landscape to strongly support this fantastic line of digital-first publications. In addition, manuscripts will be available through NetGalley for reviews.
What is Zondervan First’s five-step marketing program?
- The categories follow:
- Cross promotion with other Zondervan First titles
- Digital marketing through Zondervan social media
- Digital publicity
- Featured on Zondervan.com homepage
- Coaching on self-promotion for author
Will Zondervan First e-book originals receive galleys/eGalleys?
- Yes. Zondervan First titles will receive eGalleys to help build buzz and excitement among key bloggers and reviewers prior to publication; we're also excited to send information about our e-book originals to media as these new titles go on sale, for a second wave of promotion.
Is Zondervan First a custom/vanity publisher?
- No. In acquiring for Zondervan First, we carefully curate submissions and edit accepted manuscripts in the same fashion as all of our Zondervan projects. The line will benefit from Zondervan's editorial, marketing, publicity, and sales platforms. And getting all these services at no cost to the author is the benefit of publishing with Zondervan, and with Zondervan First.
How long does my book need to be?
- We are looking for stories around 70,000 words.
What font/margin/size should I use?
- Your formatting choices are up to you. As long as your manuscript is readable, it’s acceptable.
Which editor should I address my submission to?
- There is no need to specify an editor. However, if you have a past relationship with someone on the Zondervan team, or one of our editors specifically requested you submit your manuscript, please note that on the submission form. Otherwise, we will route the submission the appropriate editorial team.
Do I need to specify which Zondervan imprint I am submitting to?
- No, all submissions are vetted by the same team of Zondervan editors, who will decide which imprint is the best fit.
How long will you take to respond?
- Due to the volume of submissions, we will only be able to contact you if your project is the right fit. If you have not received a response in three months’ time, unfortunately your project wasn’t right for our current list.
Will you accept a manuscript even if the subgenre isn’t listed?
- Yes, on the submission form, choose “other” and write in your subgenre. We will route the manuscript to the appropriate editorial team.
I’m an agent. Should I use this to submit my client’s manuscript?
- No, this submission form is for authors only. Agents should pitch and submit projects in the usual fashion.