We’re here to exalt Christ through excellence in publishing. For over eighty years, Zondervan has partnered with authors to deliver transformational, educational and vocational resources that renew minds, enrich lives, and change the world.
Zondervan has a team of more than 350 employees, with offices in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Miami, Florida.
HarperCollins_Publishers has publishing groups in the US, Canada, UK, Australia/New Zealand, India, and China.
Zondervan authors number more than 1,500 and include America’s most respected pastors, influential leaders, renowned authors, and emerging voices.
Zondervan publishes its bestselling Bibles, books, audio, video, curriculum, software, and digital products through its Zondervan, Zonderkidz, Zondervan Academic, and Editorial Vida (Spanish edition) brands.
Zondervan resources are sold worldwide through retail stores, online, and by Zondervan ChurchSource — serving over 400,000 church leaders — and are translated into nearly 200 languages in more than 60 countries.
Zondervan services major bookstore chains and groups, including Family Christian Stores, The Parable Group, LifeWay Christian Stores, Berean Christian Stores, The Logos Bookstore Association, Christian Supply, Munce Group, and Books-A-Million.
Zondervan fills 1,600-1,700 product orders each business day. That equates to a daily average of 108,000 pounds (54 tons) of product shipped from the Zondervan distribution center to addresses worldwide.
Zondervan has been named CBA Supplier of the Year seven times—in 1978, 1990, 1996, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.
Zondervan’s glass-wrapped corporate headquarters in Grand Rapids, Michigan, sits on 20 acres of land in Michigan’s second largest city, Grand Rapids.
The corporate office lobby is graced by a life-size bronze sculpture, The Divine Servant®. Based on Mark 10:43-45 and John 13:3-17, the sculpture by Texan artist Max Greiner, Jr. depicts the biblical scene of Jesus washing the feet of the disciple Peter, reminding employees of the importance of servant leadership.
Zondervan is a member of the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association.
1931 – Zondervan is founded as a bookselling company in the Grand Rapids suburb of Grandville, Michigan by brothers Pat and Bernie Zondervan.
1933 – Zondervan publishes its first book, Women of the Old Testament.
1973 – Zondervan first publishes the New International Version (NIV) New Testament in partnership with the International Bible Society.
1978 – Zondervan publishes the complete NIV Bible.
1986 – The New International Version of the Bible, for the first time, overtakes the King James Version as the #1 Bible translation.
1988 – Zondervan becomes a company of HarperCollins, one of the world’s largest publishing companies.
1989 – Zondervan’s New Media division is formed, becoming the first in the Christian publishing industry to publish books and Bibles in electronic format.
1995 – Zondervan acquires Editorial Vida, adding Spanish products to its catalog.
1995 – Zondervan launches its first website.
1997 – Zondervan begins producing digital Internet download editions of its audiobook.
1999 – Zondervan relaunches its children’s product group as Zonderkidz. The leading publisher of children’s Bibles and Bible storybooks, Zonderkidz is also a leading publisher of children’s books.
2000 – Zondervan releases the industry’s first two eBooks, including the first Christian book published exclusively in electronic format, Leonard Sweet’s The Dawn Mistaken for Dusk.
2001 – Zondervan assumes all publishing responsibilities for Marshall Pickering, the HarperCollins UK evangelical imprint, as well as portions of Fount, its largely Anglican publishing list. These products are now under the Zondervan brand and sold by the Zondervan sales force worldwide.
2002 – Zondervan expands its eBook offerings further to include an electronic version of the bestselling and most trusted translation of the Bible, the New International Version.
2002 – Zondervan publishes The Purpose Driven® Life by Rick Warren, which goes on to sell more than 30 million copies.
2004 – Zonderkidz introduces the bestselling Faithgirlz!™ series for young girls, featuring characters Lily and Sophie, by author Nancy Rue.
2006 – Zondervan acquires Youth Specialties, further cementing a 30-year partnership as resource providers to youth workers.
- The Africa Bible Commentary is released, exemplifying Zondervan’s commitment to support Christians world-wide. The commentary is published in 78 countries and 48 languages.
- Booksellers name Zondervan “Supplier of the Year” for the 7th time in its history, a record achievement.
- Zondervan and Inspired By Media Group release Inspired By… The Bible Experience, a dramatized audio Bible, featuring an all-star cast.
- Vida celebrates its 60th year of providing Spanish-speaking Christians with resources.
- Zondervan celebrates its 75th anniversary, publishing its history in the updated edition of The House of Zondervan.
2007 – Ever After by Karen Kingsbury wins the ECPA “Kip” Jordon Christian Book of the Year Award.
- Zondervan is the holder of seven Christian Book of the Year awards, the most of any publisher.
- With a total of 88 awards since 1978, Zondervan has more Christian Book Awards (formerly Gold Medallion Awards) for excellence in publishing than any other single publisher.
- Zondervan has been named CBA Supplier of the Year a record seven times.
- Zondervan is the recipient of the inaugural More from the Core Initiative and Innovation Award for exemplary retail partnership.
- Inspired By…The Bible Experience (complete Bible) is released, the most ambitious, critically-acclaimed audio presentation of the complete Bible ever produced. The combined Old and New Testaments feature a star-studded cast of 400 including 3 Oscar winners, 5 Golden Globe winners, 7 Emmy winners, and 23 Grammy winners.
2008 – Zondervan acquires BibleGateway.com.
Today Zondervan products are sold to domestic and international ministries and retail facilities, including independent Christian and general bookstores and chains, general merchandisers, direct sellers, and online etailers. Our products are available in nearly 200 languages in 60 countries.